The Gospel of Peace

Oftentimes, I find myself sitting in the chapel at Wesley. Most times it is for the weekly Tuesday chapel service or Plumbline’s monthly Motivational Monday service. However, there are times when I come to the chapel when it is empty, when the lights are off, and my spirit is heavy. It is during those times I find myself staring into the nothingness and thinking about whatever issue is weighing me down that day.

During one of these moments of quiet, I looked around and finally realized that there was a story depicted in the stained glass windows. It’s a familiar story found in Ephesians 6:10-18. Paul is teaching the believers in Ephesus rules and regulations and how to live with our neighbors in the image of Christ and with the strength of the Lord. Paul goes on to teach that the enemy comes and attacks, so we must be ready by being prepared with truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation. He delivers these points by using the analogy of the armor of a soldier. The enemy we are fighting is not flesh and blood, but it is a spiritual battle that we must be prepared for. And in that moment, I thought to myself there is no difference in that theology today.

When I first got to Wesley I had no idea why I was here. I struggled until I slowly found myself doing things that made me feel fulfilled and made a difference in my community. As I did, though, I noticed when one finds that type of understanding of self, the trials begin. My story was no different from the many others who have gone through trials and tribulations. I struggled, found myself praying often, I inquired if I had lost my salvation. I knew the truth. I was quickly losing faith and no peace was in sight.


Photo by Kelly Drury

But, on one of those heavy days I found myself in chapel staring at the windows again, and finally I saw my answer. I had done all I could to stand, so all I had to do then was continue to stand. If I could just keep the faith and live into what I was put
here at Wesley to become then God Himself would take care of the rest. All I had to do was stand.

And stand I did. With the crowd of witnesses (otherwise known as faculty and staff), I was able to keep on standing and finally push through into what God was calling me to be. The days got a little easier and the work God was doing in me became a little more clear to myself and others. The visualization of scripture on the stained glass window gave me just enough faith to keep going.

So, I say to you, my fellow classmates, when the semester gets difficult, just keep standing. When bills become bigger than your check, just keep standing. When your calling seems like a threat, just keep standing. When you stand tall in all of those things, God has equipped you with strength to keep going even in the face of adversity. Keep going, put on the armor of God, and watch the power of the Lord.

Teaira Parker is a seminarian at Wesley, and president of Plumbline, Wesley's social justice student group.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excited for Ministry, Thankful for the Journey

The Sweetest Things I'll Ever Know

A Student Pastor's Reflection