Justice Corner: Organizing the Beloved Community

Photo by Csomós János, a seminarian and winner of the Student Council's Spring Photo Competition.
I started my journey at Wesley in Fall 2016. This journey began with lots of questions like, “Why am I here?” or “What was I thinking going back to school?” I didn’t know where to start or how to get adjusted to so many life changes happening so fast. I remember halfway through my first semester having doubts of whether I had made the right choice or if this was really where I felt led to. I decided to continue trying and see why I felt that I had to be at Wesley at a time like this. One of the reasons that I decided to come to Wesley was because of the Community Engagement Fellows. My second semester as a fellow, I was invited to be part of a non-profit and work with a community in Gaithersburg.

When I started my internship, I realized that this was something different, a type of ministry that I had never done before. I realized that there were many things in this field that would be applicable to ministry. As the semesters continued, the residents, non-profits, and interns were able to create a resident association. In the two years the resident association grew from one leader to eight, from ten people to more than one hundred and seventy people, got better lighting in the community, met with the new owners of the apartment complex, and successfully hosted a few meetings. The residents were able to build their leadership team. I was blessed to have the opportunity to see the resident association formed. 

As this season ends for me, I know that the residents will continue to work together to build something for their community and that one day the resident association will accomplish many more goals. As I concluded my time at the organization, residents shared how they were impacted by our work. One said that with the resident association she was able to learn that, although her personal circumstances didn’t allow her to do much, she still had tenant’s rights. She now is the main leader, organizing others to help them learn their rights. The parents of a family of five shared with us that since the resident association started, they felt safer and have seen improvements in security, lights, and the laundry rooms.

With the forming of the resident association I saw why I was at Wesley, why God had placed me in this community, and why I had to do community organizing. In this experience, I was able to work with a local community and create a diverse and ecumenical ministry for those in the community. Although my time as a community organizer in Gaithersburg is coming to an end, I will forever be shaped by this experience. My ministry has been enriched through this community. Now, at the end of my journey at seminary, I can say that I have not only completed my academic requirements, but also have gained experience in the community that became one of my greatest lessons during my time in seminary.

Now, another season begins, one that is still uncertain and full of as many questions as I had in 2016 (if not more). As this season comes to an end and a new one begins, I believe that I have been transformed by many in the Wesley community. Professors have invested their time, patience and understanding in us; some of the staff have worked with me in creating possibilities for the Latinx community; and my peers have brought their stories, joys, stress, and tears to our conversations. Seminary is a journey, one that allows you to figure out many things but also leave you with many questions. I look forward to seeing what is next and what other things I will forever continue to wonder and question! I hope that every season and transition for all of us is full of peace and trust; that it is for a time like this that we have been at Wesley.

Paola Lemus Bustillos is a graduating seminarian at Wesley.
To read other articles in this issue, click here.
To read the full Journal, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing and Opening Doors

The Sweetest Things I'll Ever Know

A Student Pastor's Reflection